planting a windmill palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by tropix, May 7, 2005.

1. tropix

tropix Member

We just purchased a nice sized windmill palm for our front yard. I'm looking for any information on planting and maintaining a nice healthy palm. I've read conflicting info. on some websites, some say full sun, some say they need partial shade?? How about any nutrients? Any and all info. would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

2. Banana Joe

Banana Joe Member

Re: Trachycarpus fortunei

Trachycarpus fortunei is a very easy species of palm to grow on our south west coast. I have dozens of them on my property and they will grow just as easy in partial shade as they will in full sun. In more shade they tend to develope much longer petioles and have more of an open crown. In full sun they usually develope a lot thicker crown. T.fortunei do like well drained soil for best results. Also dig a generous size hole for your palm and add some good topsoil and other organic matter such as well rotted manure. I use quite a bit of mushroom and horse manure. Through out the growing season ample irrigation in the drier months will also benefit your palm. I also fertilise my palms with Fish fert. 5-2-2 and Miracle Grow 15-30-15 once or twice a month, but b mid August I stop fertilising so they won't be pumpimg out to much tender growth throughout the colder months. Within 10 km from the ocean a good size Windmill palm should get through the Winter just fine without protection in the Winter. Sometimes smaller specimens may need a little help in a really cold arctic blast. I live approx. 900'ft from the ocean and have never protected any of my palms. I have them from seedling size all the way up to mature specimens growing happily. As a matter of fact they will self seed here and I have hoards of smaller palms that have naturalized in my garden. I through bucket fulls of palm seeds around my property so I have palm seedlings growing everywhere. Anyway Trachycarpus fortunei are one of the most cold tolerant and easiest arborescent palms for northern gardeners to grow. Good Luck, Banana Joe

3. bruins

bruins Member

We just purchased two Windmill Palms, about 6' to 7' tall. We plan on keeping them on our deck for a year or two and moved them yesterday into a couple of larger pots. I've heard conflicting recommendations about when to fertilize. One person told me not to fertilize at all for a few months until the palms have a chance to get establisher in the new larger pots. Another person told me they love nitrogen and to fertilize now. Can you give me some tips on fertilizing and when to do it?

Thanks for the help.

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Rather than quoting BananaJoe, he wrote pretty clearly when and what you should do. Good advise from a total palm buff.