Problem with Dwarf Hinoki Cypress

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Katerina, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Katerina

Katerina Member

Hi All,
    We planted 3 Dwarf Hinoki Cypresses last spring. I am not sure about name but it was on price tag at the store. It is 2-3 ft tall. It has round ball-like top on one long single trunk.
    They were fine all last summer through winter, green and fresh. After all snow melted and we got a lot of rains this spring green color turned to brown. Leaves are turning brown from inside area, close to the trunk. Someone said that it might be too much water. Fungus ???
    Anyone could tell what is wrong with them ? Can I still save them ? What can I use ?
    THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Timing sounds like they froze. If grafted onto a trunk of another cypress perhaps sometimes these may freeze at the graft union, as do roses. Or maybe yours got too wet inside, while the snow was melting. Hinoki do also sometimes blight off, most frequently cultivated garden plants have an assortment of pathogenic problems going around - due to their being an abundance of host material.

You might try going to Illinois Cooperative Extension to get a diagnosis.

3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

They are supposed to turn brown on the inside.

On bigger ones, I just slide my leather gloves to strip off the brown spent stuff.

If the outer shell of foliage discolors, that's different.