Stephanotis fruit?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Davido, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Davido

Davido Member

I discovered a 4" long medium green 'fruit' on the stephanotis vine in the garden I care for. Looks a bit like a small, smooth-skinned avocado.
    Wondered if anyone can tell me what this is...what do I do with it?
    Thx

2. Stephanotis fruits

Good job, those fruit don't always set well. Fresh seed are easy to germinate, the pods are ripe when they begin to yellow and shrink a bit. They will eventually split open, but by then the seed are dormant. You need to catch the seed at ripe, but not dry, to germinate them well. Then you can have many plants quickly. Stephanotis seed like 70-80 degrees F, and dappled light, moist loamy soil with Calcium.

Good luck,
    Michael Inaba

3. Davido

Davido Member

Thanks!

I am glad to know this. I just had 50 people with 'Pacific Horticulture Magazine' to the garden for a tour, and the director new it was a seed, but no one told me what to do with it. Said it was unusual to have one on the vine...so I am lucky! Thanks again...DT

4. stephanotis

I too, just noticed a fruit(?) on my 7 year old stephanotis vine. I was afraid it would break the vine, so I picked it off. It looks like a unripe mango in size and shape. My vine has not grown much in the years that it has been planted, but flowers profusely in the late spring and early summer here. Should I open it and plant the seeds or did I pick it too soon? I live in southern california, about 1/4 of a mile from the ocean.

5. I,also live in Southern Calif adjacent to the ocean. I have two older stephanotis vines, each has 5 large seed pods. I would like to ask the exact technique in planting the seeds so that they will grow. Alao the fruit has changed color but not to yellow as yet. Thank you for any advice you can give me. It appears to be an exciting project.Don Salstrout@aol.com

6. I have only recently discovered about 7 very large seed pods or fruit on my (at least 6 year old )stephanotis vine. I am excited to learn I can plant them to reproduce. I also live in Southern CA - Orange county.

7. Does anyone know - do you plant the entire pod,do you split it open and then plant it or plant the seeds inside?