Dying pea plants

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Gardener1, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Gardener1

Gardener1 Active Member

Hello everyone,
    In the past years, everytime I have planted peas, the plants have germinated well, produced well, but even before the pods have filled up solidly with peas, the lowest part of the plant starts to turn yellow, this progresses upwards inexorably and by the time the pod fills up, the plant is close to death or dead... I had always felt perhaps this was the natural cycle of senesence and that is likely the end of the life cycle of the plant.... This year however, one large patch of peas has turned yellow, even though the pods are very very young... at this rate of yellowing, there will be no seed produced and therefore this cannot be part of the natural cycle,.... there has to be some disease or nutritional deficit that has caused it....

There is no fungus or mildew on the leaves, Can people comment on this phenomenon.. have you encountered this?? What is the cause and any suggested solution...

Thanks a lot...

G1

2. Jenjin

Jenjin Member

I am having the same exact problems with my pea plants in North Carolina. As soon as a pea pod forms, the rest of the plant turns yellow and dies. It is so very frustrating!!!
    I hope someone responds soon so I can save the other plants.

3. Jenjin

Jenjin Member

4. SunnyDay

SunnyDay Member

Hi, first time veggie gardener here.

Very proud to say that my sugar snaps are awesome! I've probably harvested 6 ice cream bucket fulls. The 4L pails.

However, not the shelling peas: I've left my peas on the plant too long, they've gone wrinkly or just plain yellow and ghostly...which makes me really sad, since they were so tasty when ripe and fresh to eat! We couldn't stop eating them in the garden a few weeks ago. These are the shelling peas with the inedible tough skins.

Would it be possible to keep the pods as seeds for new plants? How do I know when to gather them as seeds? I tried to eat some of them and they are very hard, somewhat bitter and crunchy/pasty.

Since I've missed harvesting and they are all tough and gross now, what do I do with them? Also, once the season is over, what do I do with the pea plant? Do I tear them out and compost it?

Attached Files: