Japanese Maple tree book by J.D. Vertrees

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Karalyn, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

HI all,
    I went to Barnes & Nobles after some other errands to check for the book on Japanese Maple trees. I have been referred to this book when I'm on Japanese Maple trees websites, one of them is here.

Also, it was suggested by the website I ordered my Japanese Maples from.
    I looked and looked for something on JRM trees and almost gave up, but I kept checking the shelves and I found the smaller size version of Japanese Maples by J.D. Vertrees with Peter Gregory, it was the only one. The price was $19.95 and since it was the only one and I have been wanting this book, but never getting around to ordering it from the internet, I took it and ran to the cash register. It is very nice. The cover is a nice protected paperback, the pages have a nice coating on them as well. It is meant to be a handy book to travel with wherever you go, it lists 300 popular cultivars, and 330 photographs and list measurement in ft and meters. So I really liked that.

Very nice photos and descriptions!

It is worth $21.00, I was afraid it was going to be more! I was glad I found it locally.

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

A great little book Karalyn

3. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

It is a nice handy little book, I agree. I understand that Vertrees wrote a larger book as well, which I hope I never run across in a bookstore as it will be hard to withstand buying it...

4. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Yes, it would be hard to resist, that's for sure! But I've spent some money on my clematis books as well, and I don't regret it one bit. I love books as you can take them anywhere, sit on a couch with someone to look at together, take on a road trip, take outside to rest on a lounge chair under a shady tree.

You can't do those things with a computer.

5. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Peter Gregory that you mention, used to be the superintendent,at Westonbirt ,The National Arboretum in Gloucestershire U.K. He is incredibly knowledgeable about all trees,not just Acers,and a friendly,approachable man as well.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I think the new, small one has maples in it that aren't in the big one.

7. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

If I remember right, it does, that is why I was happy to get it right away at Barnes and Nobles. ;)

8. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Now to just get to the U.K.!

9. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

try Timber Press if you are looking for the japanese maple books, they seem to have a good selection and reasonable pricing.

10. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Yes, there are a lot of books by Timber Press I would love to own. It was more fun though to go to Barnes and Nobles and peruse the garden shelves and then find the little gem of a book, just when i was ready to get up and visit a librarian and their computer. Plus I can give them a check and it is easier to get it in my hands. Instant Gratification! Did I spell that right, it is 3:20AM and I don't know whay I'm here?! Suffering from extreme Carpal Tunnel Syndrome which the doctor today gave me two cortisone shots in both wrists. I will have surgery after Christmas day.

I guess I will have more time to read my Japanse Trees book, since I won't be able to do much gardening! And keyboarding might be a problem too for awhile. Yuck!

11. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Wow - good luck with that surgery! (And don't feel you have to aggravate your problem to answer that :-) I know how it feels to suffer to be at the computer; I have to vary my equipment layout from time to time to alleviate various tech-induced ailments and somtimes taking some time away or limiting sites visited is just the best thing.

12. cocobolo

cocobolo Active Member

Hi Karalyn:
    The latest version of the Vertrees book would be the third edition. It has been updated by Peter Gregory. It contains now over 400 cultivars. It is a terrific book.
    I have another one by James G. S. Harris, also a Timber Press book, which is not limited to Japanese Maples only. It covers the genus Acer with 125 species.
    If it is only the Japanese Maples you're interested in, then the Vertrees book is the one you want.

13. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Are you saying that there is a large book now that has more Japanese Maples in it than the new pocket book version?

14. cocobolo

cocobolo Active Member

Hi Karalyn: I don't know exactly how many trees are in the pocket book, but the hardcover is definitely not a pocket book by any stretch. If I am allowed to give a brief quote from inside the dust cover, it reads in part....Approximately 100 new cultivated varieties [cultivars] have been added to this edition, resulting in descriptions of more than 400 cultivars in all.
    It is very typical of the high quality we have come to expect from Timber Press. One of my recent arrivals is "The Garden Plants of Japan", another Timber Press book. Just an exquisite book with first class information and photos. I almost don't know how I lived without it until now!!