Ficus benjamin: sticky sap

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by gallina, Sep 21, 2007.

1. gallina

gallina Active Member

I have a ficus benjamin which looks healthy overall, but sometimes I see sticky clear sap on the leaves. Is this natuaral sap or a desease? I usually remove it just in case.

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Sounds like your tree might have an infestation of scale, or maybe another plant sucking pest. I found them on one of my hoyas years ago and just kept at it and at it with water and alcohol in a spray bottle as well as cutting it back and the persistants paid off but it can also be a losing battle if it's a big infestaion, or, if the leaves have a lot of hiding places, then it's very hard to get to scale (if that's what it is) that are in the (crawler stage)

Heres some information that might help you...

Several species of scale insects commonly infest plants in the home or greenhouse. These sap-feeding insects have a tan to brown shell-like covering or scale that protects the insect's body. Scales may be from 1/16 to 1/4 inch in diameter and are usually found on the stems and/or leaves. Some scales are hemispherical in shape, while others are oval and flat. Scale insects feed by sucking plant sap and may cause poor, stunted growth. Death of infested plants is possible in severe cases. A large quantity of a sweet sticky liquid called honeydew is excreted by scale insects. Honeydew can make a sticky, shiny mess on the plant and nearby furniture and floors. A black fungus called sooty mold may grow on the honeydew.

Scale insects can be "difficult" to control. There are several well-known remedies that can be tried in an attempt to eliminate scales from a houseplant. However, there is no easy simple cure for a scale infestation. One possibility is to pick off individual scales, or gently scrub (or rub) the scales loose from the leaves and stems. This is a laborious task that works only on small, large-leafed plants. Dabbing each scale with an alcohol-soaked cotton swab is another possibility on lightly infested plants.

Sprays can be used for scale control. Success will depend upon thoroughness and persistence. Insecticide sprays (aerosols or hand pump sprayers) made just for houseplants are available at garden centers. You can use a mild dish washing detergent in place of the commercial insecticide soaps. Use a dilute solution of 1 Tbs of detergent per quart of water. Soap sprays can be applied with a sprayer or used with a soft cloth while washing infested leaves and stems. Insecticides must be applied thoroughly, repeatedly and persistently (weekly for a month or more) to get good control.

Granular insecticides that you add to the soil of infested houseplants seem to have very limited effectiveness and their use is discouraged because of toxicity concerns. On those plants that regrow after pruning, removing the heavily infested stems and treating the remainder is a possibility. Finally, unless the plant is particularly valuable, many people find it best to throw away infested plants before the pests spread to other houseplants.

3. gallina

gallina Active Member

Thank you bluewing.
    I believe it's scale. I examined the ficus and found some on the back of the leaves. I'll buy the insecticide spray. I hope it's safe for humans?

4. seedling

seedling Member

A silicon based product called Brand X, available from Southwest Plantscapes, is sold as a leaf shine but works very well on most pests, including scale. And it's non-toxic!

5. gallina

gallina Active Member

Seedling,

I have found a similar product "Agricultural Oil", in fact it makes leaves shine. I have not seen any scale lately :)