My Lemon Tree also needs help

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Clumie, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Clumie

Clumie Member

Can any one also please advise on the state on my lemon tree, it was watered regularly but does not look too happy. I don't think it is dead though...

Attached Files:

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I hate to disagree with you, but that tree looks like it is history-- regular water is a real killer. Citrus do not like wet feet-it causes root rot and death. It is much better to underwater than overwater citrus. Inground, after they are established, they should not need watering except in extreme drought. This is my lisbon lemon is 4 yrs old-- we are in an extreme drought--over 30 inches below normal-- I have not watered it at all and it has shown no sign of wilt.
    [​IMG]

3. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

That is a beautiful tree skeeterbug!

4. Clumie

Clumie Member

Oh my gawd...I've killed it...but it looked wilted unless I watered it...the leaves looked distinctly unperky..then they all fell off...

5. Clumie

Clumie Member

And it has got white stuff on it...

6. Clumie

Clumie Member

Huh seeing skeeterbugs tree I feel like a tree killer...

7. MamaMac

MamaMac Active Member

Don't feel too bad Clumie! It's better to kill one tree and find out what you did wrong so that your next one fairs better than it is to give up! If we follow the amazing advise available in these forums, perhaps we too can have specimens like skeets!

8. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Is the "white stuff" on the soil surface? - Millet

9. sabagal

sabagal Member

By enlarging her picture it looks like her tree has a bad case of mealy bugs. Clumy, that fuzzy stuff is the waxy cottony coating over the insect. They are able to suck the life out of a plant. Each tiny bug has a needle-like mouthpart they insert into the plant and suck out sap. There are some really good threads talking about getting rid of mealybugs when you get another tree. Be aware though, if you have other plants mealybugs will spread to them and to any new citrus tree you bring home. Check all your plants well and work on getting rid of the critters before you do get a new tree. Good luck.

10. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

After enlarging the picture I can see what sabagal is talking about. I agree you probably have scale or mealy bugs, but the infestation does not look bad enough to have killed the tree. Overwatering was still the most likely problem that killed the tree.

I have watered several of my younger inground trees several times this summer. Usually after more than a week without rain and after digging into the soil to find no moisture in the top 2-3 inches. I have 3 older trees including the lemon that have not had any additional water for the entire summer and we are in a severe drought. Not one of these older trees have shown even the slightest sign of wilt. I am hoping that the drought tress will induce a fall bloom, but we will see.

Skeet

11. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

It is difficult to see clearly, even with the picture enlarged. The scale, looks to be much worse than the mealy bug. The infestation on that poor tree is quite severe, and should have been controlled a long time ago. However, to be fair, I lost my very first citrus tree, many years ago, to a severe infestation of scale, that went unnoticed, as at that time I was not aware of the insect, and therefore never noticed it until it was to late. - Millet

12. sabagal

sabagal Member

Boy Millet, my computer has a pretty good display but I missed the scale first time I looked at it. You are right, that is far worse than the mealy bug. Clumy, what I said earlier about mealy bug getting into other plants will also hold true if you have woodies in the house like ficus. Look at any other plants and if needed horticultural oil will make quick work of most scale infestations. I hope you aren't too discouraged. Try again. Citrus is fun.