How to plant Magnolia Ann

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by winnie5354, May 3, 2007.

1. winnie5354

winnie5354 Member

Hello, I am new here. I need help for planting Magnolia Ann.
    I planted a 1 1/2 ft. Magnolia Ann in my garden last year in Sept.
    It is May now, but it shows no sign of anything at all.
    This is the 2nd Magnolia Ann that I am trying to plant.
    Is that any special procedure and cares for this type of tree?

Below is what i have done:
    1. soaked the roots for few hours before i planted it.
    2. watered it until outside temp. around 40F.
    3. did nothing in the winter.
    4. as soon as it warms up (50F), I start watering it every other day.

Please Help!!!!!!

Winnie

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, it may be getting a bit late for it not to have budded out. Perhaps you rotted it by soaking it before planting (I never do this with any plant, in particular NEVER put plants in dirty water) or watering every other day afterward. If similar deciduous magnolias in vicinity have all budded out you might want to pull yours up and look at the roots, if rotted or dead will look and smell like it.

3. winnie5354

winnie5354 Member

Thank you, Ron.
    I am crossing my finger...
    Beside korean boxwoods and roses (and weed), nothing else could grow in my garden. I tried to plant azaleas 4 times. All of them died.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Those need cool, leafy soil with good drainage and regular moisture. You also have to choose kinds that are hardy in your climate. Different ones have different levels of hardiness, some are only good in southern climates.

5. winnie5354

winnie5354 Member

Ron,

My Magnolia Ann is Alive!!!! Thanks goodness! While i was going to dig it out and smell the root, I saw very tiny bud on the tree! Hopefully, it will survive under NYC unpredictable weather. This tree is so weird. It doesn't grow any branches but just bud. Thanks a lot for your advice! I am glad that i don't have to dig it out. I don't want to kill another tree (i have at least killed 7-8 trees already).

About my Mollis Azalea, I went to arborday.org and purchased it online. They have you choose your hardiness zone (mine is zone 6-7) first then pick from the available trees in your zone. That's why I believe it is my problem rather than in a wrong zone.

Thank you again.

Winnie

6. Trick1

Trick1 Member

This tree does best in full sun to partial shade. It requires an evenly moist well-drained soil for optimal growth, but will die in standing water. It is not particular as to soil type, but has a definite preference for acidic soils. It is quite intolerant of urban pollution, therefore inner city or urban streetside plantings are best avoided.