Indoor Orange trees

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by MissLis47, Jan 20, 2007.

1. MissLis47

MissLis47 Member

We inherited an indoor orange tree, every time we water it, it loses a lot of leaves. We don't know how to care for one, can we get some badly needed help?

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

i know that they do not like to be watered with hard water, that might be part of the problem also it may have insects on the leaves check for mites. you shoud also refer to the citrus forum on this website for more answers.

3. MissLis47

MissLis47 Member

I live in the city, so I have treated water, which we let sit in jugs for a few days before watering. Could it be from the chlorine?

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The chlorine will dissipate in 24 hours. It shouldn't be a problem as you've allowed the water to air for a few days. The soil should be allowed to dry somewhat between waterings. Citrus is highly susceptible to root rot when overwatered.

5. MissLis47

MissLis47 Member

I bought some epsom salts yesterday, how much do you add to what amount of water? Do you know the best fertilizer to use?

6. Rima

Rima Active Member

You may be drowning it. Wait until more of the soil in the pot has dried out, especially in winter. And give it every conceivable scrap of sun you can find all day long, or else get high wattage, full spectrum fluorescents and hang them 4-5" above the tree (won't burn, but will help) for 15 hrs/day.

7. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Want to point out that Rima does NOT have a typo; that really IS inches on the distance from the lights.

8. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

If the leaves are dropping and it's not overwatered, or have pest, it could be it's too warm/low humidity thing. Mine did the same thing yrs back and I now it gets over wintered in my garage (45-55) during the coldest months in a north facing window.
    It's only has two oranges and some buds because it was pruned back, the recent fruit started in the summer.
    I'm just thrilled that it's got all it's leaves!
    Put yours in the coolest room you have in a bright window. It should do well without direct sun if you can't provide it for now. In the spring cut it back some and put it outside where it will get some sun, but get it used to the sun gradually.There might be something better, but I use diluted strength Miracle Gro in the spring and summer months.
    Water when dry, I use water straight out of the tap, usu once a month in the cool garage it stays moist longer than it would indoors.

9. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

I would suggest that (since flowers and fruit will only appear on the NEW growth, and NEVER on the old growth), as as soon as the last fruit is picked, you immediately contemplate how you wish to trim the tree, and DO it within a week, just to make sure you don't forget or get distracted and start to late. Trimming to late means that most of what you just cut off was going to be flowers and fruit.