Ads - yes, ads.

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Daniel Mosquin, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

You'll likely note that I've introduced the first banner ad to the forums in the upper right corner.

It is my intent to have ads that either highlight UBC Botanical Garden fundraising, commercial and community activities or (geotargetted) ads for local gardening clubs shows and sales. Informational ads for other parts of the UBC Botanical Garden web site may also be displayed (e.g., if you want to create an ad for your favourite UBC BG forum to promote it, we can work together to make something).

However, if the ads fail (i.e., if they don't help contribute to reducing the garden's accumulated debt / annual deficit), I'll have to reserve the right to consider other options in the future.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

and I am assuming no commercial ads from other than the BG itself? that sounds reasonable Daniel,. and yeah, I noticed the banner as soon as I logged on. Garden clubs can surely benefit from this exposure. whats the unique hit count around here these days if I might ask?

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Commercial ads are that "other option", but hopefully we'll never have to do that.

Unique IP addresses per month for the entire site ranges between 200 000 to 275 000.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  4. Daniel Mosquin

I should also note re: the garden clubs - I was hoping to give a certain number of "impressions" as part of renting our facilities for meetings or shows, though perhaps that isn't too sound of an idea.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd be tempted by that calender, but with my bank charging GBP40 (about USD80) currency transaction charges for foreign currency purchases, I'm afraid I'll not be getting anything . . . sorry

6. Daniel Mosquin

Too bad. You're probably one of the few people who knows why the cover pic was chosen.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I don't see it. Probably because I'm using Firefox, I suppose.

Funny: when I search the forums for "ads" no results are returned.

8. Daniel Mosquin

9. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have to say that I don't mind ads at all, even commercial ones, if they don't interfere with the viewing of the site. If you frequent GdnWeb you might have encountered those that superimpose a movie screen on your forum page... those ads everyone hates. But that little banner you've put up in the corner... it wouldn't bother me if that promoted a private business. When businesses connect with customers it actually benefits us all by stimulating economic activity, and in particular, I hope the horticultural business continues to thrive so that there continue to be lots of plants and services available. In fact, although everyone wants the BG to thrive and I support its sales ventures, I sometimes wonder whether the UBCBG actually removes revenue from the local horticultural community by competing for sales. If it does, for the BG to offer an opportunity for such businesses to advertise (at a cost of course) would seem to me to be a sporting and mutually beneficial thing to do.

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I use Firefox, don't see them anyway. OK, I'm repeating myself. I thought Karin's was the first comment.