Potted Bearss Lime; leaves are falling off like crazy!

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by high country plant lover, Nov 30, 2006.

1. high country plant lover

high country plant lover Member

Help! I have a potted lime tree that I've had in the house for the last 7 years. It is about 4.5 feet tall, and I have kept it pruned to about 4 branches. I have transplanted several times, but the last time was about 3 years ago. The leaves are dark green, but have lately been falling off like crazy. In fact, 2 branches are now totally bare. I have the beginnings of some new growth on the trunk, but it's only about 1.5 inches and doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have one small lime, only about a month old, it hasn't fallen off, but I keep expecting that next. I live in the cold country of Northern Arizona. I have moved about 4 times since I got this tree (purchased in much lower, hotter climate). I fertilized with a jobs citrus stick when I last transplanted and just water regularly. Obviously the fertilizer is LONG gone, I'm afraid to do anything. This tree has produced many limes over the years. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Without knowing the exact conditions, I will guess that the tree is in a sunny window, but the room is relatively cool so your roots probably are below the minimum required for uptake of water and nutrients (55 F). You have 2 options,-- take it out of the sun and keep the roots cool, or leave it in the sun and warm the roots.

You can search for and read several post by Millet regarding root temperature and exposure to sunlight. There are several ways to warm the roots.

Skeet