overwintering(outside) musa basjoo in Nanaimo

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by soupy, Oct 22, 2006.

1. soupy

soupy Member

I've seen banana palms all trussed up in black garbage bags. Last year I built a wooden framed box insulated with styrofoam to cover my 1.75 m spseudo stem. It came throught the winter but was wet inside when I removed the cover. Is there a better way to do this? or should I just cut it back and let it grow each year? I hate to loose the stem, it's about 2 metres tall right now. It's in a sunny location and excellent soil drainage. Should I fertilize the soil for over wintering? I also don't know whether to wait for the frost before I do anything or prep it prior to frost??
    I'd appreciate any feedback at all. This is my first time here and I love gardening!!

2. palmera

palmera Active Member

It is normal for your banana stalk to be wet and even kind of mucky after removal of the wrap.

In November, after a few frosts that start to turn the leaves brown, I do the traditional wire mesh enclosure filled with straw, wrapped in a sheet of foam and then covered with plastic. I first cut the leaves off and do not water or fertilze again until spring. This past year I removed my wrap in early March.

Each year will be different, depending on the forecast. My stalk (2.5 meters) is always wet and even has some little worms crawling around the outside of the stem. I just remove any rotted layers and wipe it off. Once the first leaf starts to grow I begin fertilizing. I prefer this method as I feel more secure when everyone is all 'put to bed' for the winter.

Or, if you are watching the weather closely, you could just cover it up when it looks to be a run of nasty cold. And then remove the cover for the milder parts of the winter. Works good if you pay attention and your cover isn't too difficult to erect.

Finally, you can just leave the stem and if the winter is really mild (they are forecasting one this year), just cut off the dead leaves in Spring and away she goes. Most winters, though, the stem will die down to the ground and a new one (or several) will pop up in the Spring. Many people leave the decision up to Jack Frost and their bananas are still very nice.

Good luck, and welcome to the banana belt!

3. soupy

soupy Member

Thank you so much! I've spent hours on the web looking for what you have made a very simple and easily understood answer. I'm glad I finally decided to log on to this very informative web site and forum and hopefully I can be of use to someone too!! I love the banana belt!! Thank you again!!

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

soupy ... palmera is right. These Musa basjoo are dead easy in our climate. Even if you do nothing at all and they die down, boom! they return again in spring.

Cheers, LPN.

5. soupy

soupy Member

Thanks so much! Great advice !

cheers
    soupy