Pear tree disease

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by wojpa, Aug 31, 2006.

1. wojpa

wojpa Member

Attached Files:

2. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

hello

your pear is suffering from Pear Trellis Rust. common in the lower mainland of BC. It has 2 hosts one is a juniper and the other is the pear. there is no know effective cure of this but people have used copper in the form of a bordeaux mix to lessen the effects

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think its pear trellis rust.

4. wojpa

wojpa Member

Thank you for your replies..
    would be safe to consume fruits from this tree ?

5. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

Hello Wojpa

Its not known to produce toxic substances in the fruit. just cut out the ugly parts of the fruit. it should be safe

6. malcolm

malcolm Member

Thank you for your suggestions, but I have found out what "Rock Rot" really is called. It is called Pear stone rot. It is terminal eventually and highly contagious to other pears, eventually the tree will die from the roots upwards.
    Malcolm Calvert

7. ivylune

ivylune Member

My pear trees seem to have the same marks on their leaves, but I live in Southern Ontario. I read that pear trellis disease was only native to Southern BC however. Is that what my pear trees have too. The spots are exactly like those in the pictures posted above.

ivylune

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Pear Trellis Rust recently reported in Ontario

9. p g palmer

p g palmer Member

just joined today 3rd august 08 and noticed there were pictures of this peartrellis rust disease but they were from 2007 I have this disease on my pear trees and i am in wimbledon in the uk is that normal or has it spread to this part of the uk

10. kmcgovern

kmcgovern Member

I am in Wimbledon as well and my tree has the same. Very discpointed to hear no cure and it may eventually kill the tree

11. p g palmer

p g palmer Member

thank you for replying, i didnt realise that there was nothing that could be done. if thats the case i might spray it with jeyes disinfectant, i know that i should have done that when the buds were first appearing but never got round to it. if the spraying with a weak mixture of jeyes doesnt work then it appears that it might be the end of the tree. i'll let you know the resuls

12. tenaciousv

tenaciousv Member

just joined today.....July 10, 2009....I know this thread is old, however my pear tree is terribly infested with this disease as well......I live in southern Ontario......only know 'cure' I have read about is to eliminate all junipers within a 1 km radius...lol...how impossible is that?!

13. dmudro

dmudro Member

hi, i am in the Greater London area too and the pear in my garden is suffering from the awful disease. Just noticed it now - late summer 2009. Did you manage to bring it under control or have any observations that could possibly help? Many thanks!

14. jmb1970

jmb1970 Member

Hello

I know this an old thread but I was just trying to find out what my pear tree is riddled with and it seems to be this little monster! This is the first time I've been on this site.

We bought the house late last year but viewed in the spring/summer and the tree looked healthy and had fruit on it. This year we haven't had any fruit and the whole tree is covered in these spots, identical to the photos. Shame there is no cure but at least we know what it is now. I it best just to cut the tree down?? Shame if it is as I love tress and was one of the draws to this house, we have 6 fruit trees at the end of the garden and 5 others.

We are in the north west of England, so quite a way from London.

Jo

15. sjirg

sjirg Member

Hi,

We live in Essex - near Epping - and have just discovered this same disease on our pear tree.

Has anybody been able to find a solution?

16. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I haven't found a solution, but it seems that oriental pears are resistant to the disease. I have a 20th Century pear that until a few weeks ago had D'Anjou grafted on. Last year I noticed Pear Trellis Rust on the D'Anjou portion, and it reappeared this year. So I removed the D'Anjou graft and currently am harvesting a normal crop of 20th Century. The latter is admittedly a totally different tasting pear.