Pruning Ornamental Cheery Tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Kelly2006, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Kelly2006

Kelly2006 Member

When do I prune or top an ornamental cherry tree? Some of the top branches are longer than others and is making it look like a crooked tree. I live in Comox on Vancouver Island.

Also, is there a good website or pictures that can teach me how to do both?

Thanks for your assistance, Kelly

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

These generally disease susceptible trees resent severe heading back. Trying to force it to become a perfectly symmetrical shape will also destroy its natural character, much of the appeal of aged Japanese cherries (and related trees) is the contrast between the prettiness of the flowers and the rugged appearance of the trunk and branches.

3. Kelly2006

Kelly2006 Member

Thanks Ron B. I think I need to prune it but I want to do it at the right time of year. I have one person that says I should do it while it is dormant and another that says I should do it just after if flowers. I'm totally confused and not sure what to do so I haven't done anything.

Thanks, Kelly

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

I think that inexperienced homeowners should prune those when leaves are still on, especially if there is deadwood inside.

Professionals can usually distinguish between deadwood and live wood by looking at the bark in the winter.

Homeowners with little experience, may have a tough time, unless the leaves are there.

Moderate thinning, can be done during most months.

Ron B is so right about heading back information. It's amazing how many dying or diseased flowering cherry, or cherry, have stubbed tops and branch ends.

5. Kelly2006

Kelly2006 Member

Thanks M. D. Vaden for your response.

Don't you have to prune or thin out the branches that are crossing over into other branches in order to help light get through to all the leaves?

I believe our tree is about 12 years old and very healthy and that's something I don't want to wreck but its getting rather thick in the middle and sections.

So far, I have consulted 2 different professional gardeners and gotten 2 different responses as to when the branches should be pruned or thinned.

Thanks for your responses, keep them coming.

Cheers, Kelly

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Overpruning and wrecking of trees in general, not just Japanese cherry trees is common. Try looking at some books on pruning and taking some seminars or even classes on pruning. Don't do anything substantial until you feel you have a better idea what to do, once you cut if off you can't put it back. And if the tree looks "healthy" now then maybe it looks as good as it can right now, with pruning not likely to make it look much better.

After 12 years of growth the dye is pretty much cast, training to a particular structure would normally have been done much earlier in the tree's development.

7. Kelly2006

Kelly2006 Member

Thanks everyone for your help.

Kelly