Pomegranates

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by oakcreekorchard, Jul 31, 2006.

1. oakcreekorchard

oakcreekorchard Member

Who has good production of pomegrantes? What variety is the best producer for you that has a decent taste? The reason I am asking these questions is that I am testing pomegranate varieties and anyone with a good tasting variety that can stand some frost interests me.
    Richard

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello Richard,

At the bottom of this web page is a list which describes the many cultivars available. It depends on what you are looking for. I cannot recommend a cultivar based on my own experience, hopefully someone else can provide some insight. The cultivar 'Wonderful' is a popular selection. It will certainly be able to tolerate the frost. It is hardy to zone 7b. Here is another fact sheet about that particular cultivar.

Raakel

3. oakcreekorchard

oakcreekorchard Member

Contary to what may believe 'Wonderful' variety pomegranate is frost sensitive and will leaf out in the spring and if you have a late frost it will be killed back and thus you will loose your fruit crop for that year (although the plant will not usually die). I do not recommend this variety for any cold hardiness zones except 8b and higher. This information is from actually growing this variety. The question I asked is if anybody has a cold hardy pomegranate variety (even one's that are seedlings) that can stand zone 7 or lower temperatures and produce nice fruit in good quanities. There are a number of heirloom pomegranate varieties that people have grown for years but do not have a name for it, those are the one's we are interested in. This is a research project for commercial production of cold hardy pomegranates. We already have several varieties that came from Central Asia that can stand a lot more cold than 'Wonderful' (not so wonderful in our area.)
    Richard

4. Tranqu

Tranqu Member

Hello Richard,
    "Plantation Sweet" pomegranate is suitable for zone 5 and up. I purchased mine at Ty Ty Nursery in Ty Ty, Georgia. They've a website for convenient ordering.

Manley

5. oakcreekorchard

oakcreekorchard Member

Manley,
    We are aware of Ty Ty. If you have seen all the bad posts on the internet about people having problems with that nursery, I am suprised that you ordered anything from them. The variety you mentioned is one of their "named" varieties but it is certainly not the most cold hardy pomegranate around and I do not believe that it will stand an average winter in USDA cold hardiness zone 5 without being killed to the ground. Sure in Georgia it will probably stand the winters but that is zone 7 and 8.

Raakel,
    Contary to what some say, Wonderful is not cold hardy in zone 7b and will be killed to the ground every few years in that zone.
    Richard

6. Tranqu

Tranqu Member

Hello Richard,
    I've been ordering from Ty Ty years before reading negative statements about them and continue to make large orders each time I relocate to a different part of the U.S. I'm not only a vegan but a "fruit nut". My home in Miami, then South Central Florida,which has much lower lows than Miami, and now Georgia, typically have about 30 various fruit trees- most from Ty Ty. I find the staff courteous and amiable and I'm delighted with their products. Again, I've read the complaints about Ty Ty but I wonder why they are still thriving.
    If my "plantation sweet"pomegranate or Texas star banana or tennessee fig or mission olive don't survive, they will definitely hear from me. By the way, as I move from one climate to another, I try to choose and enjoy those fruit types that are best adapted to that climate. Richard, I'm planning to build or have a greenhouse built on my property- I miss enjoying papaya and similar fruit. If you can give me/refer me to any information about greenhouses, I'd appreciate it.
    Richard, I'm also pleased with RainTreeNursery.com

Manley

7. lifeoftheseed

lifeoftheseed Member

I found a cold hardy heirloom variety behind the presidents house at Cooker College in SC. All the pomagranate trees died in my area of the state (Walterboro). However, this tree which is farther north looked at least 20 years old. It was loaded during a year when we had a late freeze. I've been wanting to propogate it but havn't been back. If you get some plants maybe send me a few.