removing algae from fish pond

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by wmceache, Jun 11, 2006.

1. wmceache

wmceache Member

can anyone help me out ? I have tried the chemical route and that didn't work.What can I try next?

2. Takana_Hana

Takana_Hana Active Member 10 Years

there are small algae tablets that you can purchase that makes ure water clear it eats away algae

3. chowntown

chowntown Active Member

I always use the chemical route last as it is only a short term solution. Try barley pellets...they release algae killing hydrogen-peroxide and works wonders.

The best way to prevent algae is to stock your pond with lots of green plants and you want ideally 60% of the surface of your pond covered. Oxygenators (parrot's feather, cabomba, hornwort etc) and fish also help keep the algae population low (trapdoor snails also feed on algae).

Also make sure that there is not a lot of debris at the bottom of your pond as the nutrients they release whilst decomposing are a great source of nutrients for algae. On the same note if you overstock your pond with fish their wastes (as they break down) provide more nutrients to algae which might compound your problem.

Cheers

-Eric

4. wmceache

wmceache Member

Thanks,
    I will try the barley pellets as I have heard barley mentioned a few times but it was always as barley straw and I just thought there's no way i'm throwing straw in my pond no matter how much algae I have .I will pick some up today and try it out.
    Thanks Eric

Wayne

5. wmceache

wmceache Member

Thanks I will pick some pellets up today and try it.
    Wayne