Moss Killer Stains on Driveway and Sidewalk

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by bryanandsara, Jun 10, 2006.

1. bryanandsara

bryanandsara Member

HELP!!!! I recently put moss killer granuels on my front lawn...not paying attention, or course, to where the granuels were flying. WELL, the next time it rained?? I have these orange spots EVERYWHERE on my driveway and sidewalk. I've tried my pressure washer, but it doesn't work...any ideas?

Thanks! Bryan from Washington.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

most moss killers for lawns are ferrous sulphate (Iron and sulphur) they will stain most surfaces when they get wet and oxidize. I dont know of a cure beyond scrubbing and washing the area well.

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Try pressure washing it. Even then, if the surface is concrete, you are unlikely to get rid of all of the stand. Do not use any chemicals, like bleach, on the stain, as there is a risk that you may "fix" the stain and make it more "permanent".

4. paion

paion Active Member 10 Years

It's rust, vinegar or lemon juice will remove the spots.

5. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Muratic acid is a last resort, vinegar or lemon juice works well with a good scrubbing, but usually only within the first few days of staining concete, after that it really sets in.

6. Glenn Slayden

Glenn Slayden New Member

I found a solution to the pesky orange “Moss-Out” stains on concrete, aggregate driveway, and stucco. The gallon jug of “acidic toilet bowl cleaner” from Home Depot, viscous and dark blue, is basically weak muriatic acid with soap added. Apply to exterior hard surfaces at full strength with a long-handle soft bristle brush. Scrub-in thoroughly. Wait four minutes maximum—or sooner if the foaming surface starts turning purple—and then rinse heavily with normal hose. Voila!