Jade Plant (crassula) stem problem

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by KevinVanR, Feb 21, 2006.

1. KevinVanR

KevinVanR Member

I have a gorgeous Jade Plant, which appears to be slowly dying of something. Each day, another stem drops off, and I am quite perplexed as to what it could be. It is planted in good soil, and is watered in accordance with it's care instructions. I have other Jade Plants, and they are thriving. However, this one has variegated leaves, if that makes any difference. The leaves are in great shape. No discernable problems there. They even have new growth appearing. However, the stems appear to be drying out in places, as though the joint cracked (the stems have multiple 'joints') and then allowed that part of the stem to start getting air, and dying. Does this theory hold up? Do you know what is causing this? The plant was doing well before we left on vacation 2 months ago (for 3 weeks). Then, when we returned, this started happening. My hypothesis is that we overwatered the plant before we left, and then the stems became soft from too much water. The weight of the leaves then caused the joints to crack slightly. Does this sound right? What can I do to stop this? Any ideas? Thank You!!

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

I think you a problem right about the water before you left. From what I know, this might be stem rot—Jade Plant’s #1 enemy. Is it also possible that when you watered it and the leaves plumped up the sheer weight of the water in the leaves is breaking the stem? I hear that this may happen if the plant has been watered a little too frequently (not enough to cause rot) and is grows a scraggily. If this is possible then maybe consider cutting it back a little.