Acer palmatum 'Hanami nishiki'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by NJACER, Feb 12, 2006.

1. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

This is an interesting dwarf maple planted in full sun in one of my back gardens. It opens in the spring green with red edges, turns to green in the summer and a red to orange fall color. This series of photos was taken in spring, summer and fall of 1999. The tree is now about 24" tall and 36" wide. I think that it makes a nice addition to a garden with dwarf conifers.

Attached Files:

2. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Hanama Nishiki'

Hanama Nishiki

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  3. jcblue13

jcblue13 Member

Here are some pict of my 'Hanami nishiki'

pict1 : 16 april//pict2 : 15 juin//pict3 :7 october

Attached Files:

4. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Hi jc,

Good looking plant. I've not seen an HN with an upright form. There is another thread with HN here. The plant i grow looks more like the one in NJACER post. It's a low growing spreading dwarf with darker green leaves (shade grown).

5. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

PTB.
    Do you have one? Was wondering how these things might fair a bad Zone5b winter.
    Love dwarfs.

6. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

eq,

Yes, I got a grafted plant 2 years ago. I put it in a smart pot in the shade and it has grown beautifully. It is a very handsome plant with bluish green wood and small dark leaves. I've often heard remarks that it's a tender cultivar. In Philly in a pot it's been perfectly fine but we are more of a 6b zone. The plant that NJACER grows in NJ is in the ground and it's very broadly spreading maybe 8' or more and low to the ground maybe 3' or so but he is also pretty much 6b.

My plant came from pages run nursery on ebay. I find that HN has astonishingly brittle wood.

Attached Files: