How best to care for curry plant

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Mae, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Mae

Mae Member

I have a curry plant that is about a year old. I had transplanted it shortly after I got it into a 18" diameter pot outdoors. It is healthy but only about two feet. I live in the canyons of Malibu where it gets enough sun. I just wish it would grow faster and bigger. I have seen pictures of one that grew 9' in two years in Arizona! I fertilize it once a month with an all purpose liquid fertilizer that I dilute with water. Would alfalfa tea that is often mentioned as a rose food help jumpstart this plant? What else should I be doing? Someone said it is an acid loving plant. What does that mean and what can I feed it with to provide acidity? Thanks.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Sounds like you have a Murraya koenigii, Curry Leaf. Try a high-nitrogen fertilizer (often sold for azaleas) which will feed the tree and acidify the soil. I use a 30-10-10 on my Murraya paniculata - a close relative of your tree - with success.

3. Thanks Junglekeeper. Yes, my plant is the murraga koenigii whose leaves I often cook with in my curry dishes. Never thought of using azealea food but will definitely give it a try.