Identification Request: Mushroom or Plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by SvenLittkowski, Mar 5, 2010.

1. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Active Member

Hi.

I discovered in a cooler Caribbean rainforest region this interesting species, and would like to ask you all here for the identification.

My mind is divided if this is a mushroom or a plant. It is easy to take away from the ground, like a mushroom, and it got white or creme colored flesh like a mushroom. However, the outside looks like a pinecone or a red artichoke, and it feels similar to the leafs of an artichoke, the leafs are kinda stiff.

I don't remember any smell. But I recognized that the older individuals turned black, not unlike to some mushroom types.

It is a humid or even wet environment where this species grows (even the camera lens cought some water drops), and it is inside a rain forest. The underground was the reminder of a dead tree, I think, and was surrounded by moist soil. More mature species develop a big number of small extensions on their outside.

What kind of species is that?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

WOW!!! Amazing...
    Hm... maybe a Balanophoraceae ?

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I've seen those in Ecuador as well - I had always assumed them to be related to the Zingiberales in some way. Hmmmm....

Very similar to the flower shoots of Renealmia thyrsoidea - a plant which is notorious for not sending up leaves that make it easy to ID.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  4. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Active Member

Lila and Lorax, thanks a lot for your responses!

I think, in this case it seems to be of a higher possibility it is the Balanophoraceae I made photos of. Amazing plant. Similarities to mushrooms.

5. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years